- 20 Oreo cookies
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese (regular or low-fat)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped topping (regular, light, or fat-free) *you can substitute about 3 cups freshly whipped cream, see note*
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 (approx. 3.4 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat milk
- 5-7 drops green food coloring
- Additional mini chocolate chips or crushed cookies topping
1- Place cookies in a large resealable bag. Seal all but one inch of the bag and gently crush the cookies using a rolling pin. Pour melted butter into the bag and mix gently with your hands. Pour the crushed cookies into a 9x9” baking dish. Spread evenly over the bottom. (The crust will not completely join together as a pie crust will.)
2- Beat cream cheese in a large bowl with a hand mixer until smooth. Mix in sugar, vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract. Add more peppermint extract, up to 1/2 teaspoon total, as desired for your personal taste. Fold in 1/2 the container (about 1 1/2 cups) whipped topping. Fold in chocolate chips. Add green food coloring and gently stir to fold in the color. Spread the mint layer over the cookie layer.
3- Mix the pudding mix with the milk. Whisk for 30 seconds. Let sit for a few minutes until the pudding thickens, then spread over mint layer.
4- Top with the remaining whipped topping and sprinkle with additional chocolate chips or crushed cookies. Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving. Eat within 3 days.
You can use whipped cream in place of the whipped topping but then the dish needs to be prepared and served in the same day. The whipped cream will weep a little as the dish sits, so it's best eaten the same day it's made!